This new bad habit started forming with my need to fill the nighttime backdrop with plain ole Holiday Stuff. I just really love Christmas specials. But never enjoyed the kind that I wasn't familiar with. Give me Elf and Zooey D. Give me the Polar Express if need be (where doing shots every time they say "north pole" will result in alcohol - 1, Silly Human - 0). But not these made for TV craps they put on with grown up childhood stars. Ever wonder where the little girl from Party of Five went? All the missing socks land here. Even Joey "Whoa" Lawrence has graced the screen. Ok but he grew up hot despite the whole childhood star thing and that pop album he put out years ago. Not that I listened to it. (I gotta nothing but love for ya, baby....). So as of the end of October/November 1st, I fed into the monster that plows against those yelling, "Not yet!!!". Only to find that what I thought was harmless background noise was suckering me in to the plot. Did I really write the word, "plot"? I did. And I rooted for the underdog, rooted for the Love Match Santa to unite the couple he was trying to put together. I rooted for Eve, despite the fact that she went back in time by over 10 years to have an altar-ditching Re-do, to actually take the time Gods up on the Re-do.
A long time ago I used to walk into my mother's home on a Sunday, early afternoon. I'd find her in the dark, after a night out, watching the Lifetime channel. Maybe the Hallmark channel. One of a few stories would be on....someone was murdered/raped/beaten and a happy ending would result in handcuffs (without a single Shade of Grey). I'd walk in like a war-ending parade, flipping on light switches, throwing Happy at her from all sides. Ew, how can you sit in the dark in your bathrobe at this time and watch this crap? Do you have a bowl of razors next to you for the next step?
She'd laugh at me. To this day, I supplement her library at least once a year with a good crime, mafia or serial killer book. True crime of course. People ask me if I'm afraid of her because of her "hobby". Nope. I don't live there. But let's ask my step-father.
Today was an eye opener at work. I am starting to fuse with the girl who is next to me all day. We're like like peas in a literal work pod all day. We talk like teenagers, laugh and somehow get work done. She is the one who rescued my darling Sumiko and her siblings and found homes for them. We are slowly becoming the twins from the Shining. We both turned around at the same time when our boss was far enough way not to hear her coming toward us. It freaked our boss out a tiny bit. Then I was systematically putting hand lotion on and she reached for hers to do the same, caught herself and suffered the realization that she thought she was copying me. But doing the whole hand lotion thing is like yawning. I think it's fairly contagious. I realize suddenly that my hands are parched and leaving mounds of skin-drifts everywhere if I don't moisturize my paws.
But the clincher was the moment I sneezed. Most of us cannot control a sneeze. Within four seconds....she sneezed back. I looked over at her. "Really?" She's like my little sister. Or really if I am being honest, she is a lot of who I was in my 20s. It endears me to her.
Random thought: I don't know why but this morning I thought of Y and T. Their song Mean Streak from about 1983. I was never a fan. I saw them open for someone at some point and knew this song. I decided to google the video since I can't remember a thing about the song except for the chorus. An asian Demi Moore dominates the dude being addressed in the song, whipping her sunglasses off, doing semi-backbends, tapping her stillettos, and playing the role of 80s Biotch. Underneath all that red leather crotchery, the lead singer really can sing. I don't know if I really needed to know this song again but there it was, a blip on the brain and in a world of Google, no LP in a basement was needed to retrieve the memory.
Well, I think I will need to erase that little bit of 80s metal imagery. I think it's time for something a bit sexy to offset the silly. Time to Youtube the Crow Soundtrack. And then reach for the remote. Merry Christmas Child Star turned Awkward Adult Actor!

No comments:
Post a Comment