Thursday, June 9, 2011

A little sprig o' trust




It’s been maybe a couple of weeks now. There is one crow in particular, so far as I can tell, who is more trusting of this lots of blonde hair tailed, book reading, baggie holding human.
I’ve discovered that I no longer can decide that I won’t walk on a day where it is too hot. Or too anything. Mr. Crow (or is it a Miz? I feel sorta bad that I can’t differentiate on looks alone at this point, just behavior) knows at this point that I will walk the circular block twice every late afternoon. Now it’s become a schedule and already having pets, I know how important their rituals are to them.





The other day I was walking and had my nose deep inside my book, not looking up often to see where Mr. Crow and his cronies might be landing. They usually fly to the tree nearest to where I will be arriving. They sit like patient, expectant statues, waiting for me to notice their presence. The one day I didn’t happen to notice….I was reading Stephanie Meyer’s “The Host” and was absorbed. I hear a gentle and abbreviated “caw” above me and saw Mr. Crow on his Feed Me branch.





I usually talk to them first, making sure to look up at them. They recognize faces and like that shampoo commercial in the 70s, for better or worse, they will tell a friend, who will tell two friends and so on and so on.





Then I will open the baggie, show a palm of food while speaking still, and then place it down on the ground where they can easily see it. For now my intention is to gain the trust. To show them that I’m simply here to feed and be friends. I will put the food down and walk away so that you can eat without my creepy human presence. They probably have their own poems about us….if you see one human it means you will be alone, if two, you will find a mate of your own….





I speak again after placing the food and wish Mr. Crow a nice day and to enjoy his vittles.
There are little milestones that seem to occur. I’m no expert but I do know that crows have their own territories. I believe our ‘hood contains about four or so. They bobble around in the back yard and if I go out to see them, they are still tentative. So I save it for the regimen of the walk, where they can choose how close they’ll get.





The other day, Mr. Crow landed eye level with me on a fence about 10 or less feet away. This was a big event for me….I’m used to wondering if I’m going to escape a crow present being dropped on me when I look up to talk. This one was level and close. The first time any of them have done so. I pulled out the baggie and moved a little slower than usual so that he wouldn’t feel threatened and as usual, placed his vittles down, gently speaking and then walked off. I usually bring a camera so that I can get a photo or two first but this day I hadn’t….naturally. It would have been the best photo yet.





I tell my honey that I’m not sure that I can be seen with him outside. He owns a hound that at times barks desperately at anything he wants to chase and destroy. If the crows see me with That Guy who owns the Barking Orange Thing, then I might end up on the Spy list.
I have no idea where this little courtship with the feathered ones are going but so far, the journey is sweet. I do imagine picking one up like our chickens in the backyard but highly doubt there would be a simple episode of non-resistance. For now the walks with book and baggie are just fine as is.

No comments: