Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ben Franklin Croissant?

Adam & Kris Pictures, Images and Photos


Hooray for work from home Thursday! I'm here with my buddies, Regis & Kelly. I've actually thought about asking Regis to help me find a good restaurant in NYC to accomodate our apres wedding detail. Normally this might be an easy task. However, we have my ultra prized Humanling with us and any tipping of the scales regarding sleep, excitement, diet or sun can predispose her to a wedding day or day after seizure. She will need to be handled with the utmost care and I am entrusting one or two of my closest buds to shuttle her to and fro over the state lines. One of those buddies is Organic, who is thankfully lending me her services and steely enough to take on the challenges of feeding my darling. Not to mention the potential challenge of being present when Humanling awakens as this is her number one seizure time. So I thank Organic for being that person who is going to be there (and ha ha...hope I didn't just scare the heck out of her.....its a POSSIBILITY not a probability....maybe that will make it seem easier...). My other wonderful and close friend would have to fly in from CA if she is to attend. She is half of Scorpion Equinox with me. She has a wonderful and gorgeous pup who is definitely her "child". It's seeming almost impossible to make it out here with my niece, Hennessy (that's her dog's name) so we might have to do a possible Skype or cell phone presence during the wedding. The same may have to do for my older child, Miz Eye. She is in Arizona and more than likely isn't playing the Lotto fast and furious enough to land those plane tickets.
Back to the Humanling's diet....we are both gluten free and mainly dairy free. By 'mainly' I mean that we are able to have butter (and are encouraged to have lots of it) and we have also been told that people with sensitivities to dairy can indeed have heavy cream. That something about the heavy cream is not processed the same as milk foods. Or rather, isn't processed at all if you look at some of the labels. Or perhaps I was told that really it is what is in the heavy cream as opposed to not in the milks. Regardless, we are encouraged to have plenty of that as well. I must admit, since adding a lot more fats to Humanling's diet, I think - *think* she seems to be doing pretty well with it. However, eating out is another story. I make every single one of her meals. Eating out is a huge pain in the cheeks. She also cannot have corn or corn products, soy and soy products or anything with tomatoes. I really need to just open my own restaurant and call it "Humanling Can Have This".

When we were in NYC recently, we had a wonderful lunch at a macrobiotic restaurant. I love the places that will give you a Bean of the Day! This is a huge staple here in our house.
So the dilemma is sort of this - having everyone eat according to my daughter's needs. Is this fair? Can people enjoy one meal without meat or that it isn't standard fare? Do I expect everyone to understand or do I give in and pack her a peanut butter and jelly and hope for the best? I don't like that idea. My own opinion might be too opinionated and I don't want to offend anyone at all, including the lucky man who inherits all of this on July 24th. My own opinion is personally, can people just deal for one meal. We're paying for it anyway. If they are still hungry afterwards there are plenty of other places to go. It's NYC after all! Perhaps I can strike up a bargain that I will give up first dibs on anything else if I can just take the restaurant choice.On another note.....am I the only person to have a micro freak about people who handle cash, handling your food? With their bare hands? I ordered a croissant this morning (yes, I did say we are gluten free, yes I am a hypocrite but I'm a hypocrite away from Humanling's eyes at the moment!) I like to have a croissant here and there...they aren't my main staple and I don't even have them once a week but when I work from home I do like one here and there. So I went to my favorite place where they give good croissant and ordered one to go just toasted. I figured that I would put my own butter on at home since its organic. Then the girl at the register picked one up with her bare hands, cut it in half for me and toasted it herself. Thanks but no thanks. She's handling all kinds of money and its not like I'd go and tell her boss....he was standing right there. Yeah, I know its really not a big deal to most people. But for my money, I came home ripped it up for the squirrels and made something else to eat. What a bizarre situation for me to have to point it out so I just dealt. I hate that I'm not loud enough to speak out on that at the time and spent the money on it anyway when I'm trying to save money, nevermind throw it outside for the squirrels to nibble on.

So I have croissant on the craving mind now. I thought about hitting up a Dunkin Donuts down the road....I love the thought. And having a nice coffee with it. The reality is that yes, while DD employees grab your baked goods with a wax paper, its still probably chock full of GMOs, gluten and the coffee comes in a styrofoam cup. But a nice thought, nontheless. And one I will continue to think about for a few hours.

Regarding American Idol, I don't think it is cut and dry for Adam. I'd like Adam to win however, I never saw Kris as a contender. Have all the women given up on Adam because Kris is hetero? Kris is unavailable too as the married Idol boy. Yeah, Adam's a screamer but he is not forgettable. Kris is just as cute as my widdle kitty cat Princess only he sings in human. He's not bad to listen to at all, he can sing. But I think in this competition he is a good looking quiet guy who can sing as opposed to perform. And it is a contest. If he were just himself, such as a John Mayer, its a different story. Either way, I don't vote so can't wait to see who will be chosen for the crown and will be the leading member of the Brady Bunch tour they are doing this summer.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

stopping in to say hi!!!! hope all is well and you enjoyed your mother's day!

Genie Sea said...

I totlly hate it when someone handles my food without gloves, never mind handling money and my food!

I have actually told people to either use gloves or lose the business.

As for the wedding meal. I'm not chef, but I think a great chef can make a meal with the necessary "limitations". I would totally eat grilled veggies on rice at a wedding if it meant that a little girl would be safe. It is your wedding after all :)

Genie Sea said...

Oh! BTW. I am totally rooting for Adam. He is the ultimate performer. The best of all American Idol contestants ever. :)

Patti Gibbons said...

well...I have come to the realization that the world is full of germs and that the more you have in your body, the stronger your immune system will be. Otherwise you are using anti bacterial stuff on your hands all the time, then they crack, and then not all bacteria are killed by that (C-diff being one) and you create more and more super bacteria by sterilizing stuff. Of course she should have had gloves on. But I have also watched people with said gloves touch things that they should not tough WITH THE GLOVES on....so unless you insist on them wearing a clean set JUST FOR YOU...there are no guarantees. Have I made you even more neurotic, lolol

Shades of Scorpio said...

Oh yes, Patti, I have heard the same! I try to keep it in my head not to get paranoid over every little thing....and I have to let the kid out of the bubble to be in public school! But when I can see it happening in front of me its not something I would be able to succumb to unless....well, maybe if it was the last croissant on earth. I probably would have eaten it then. And yes - they would have to change the gloves! but I think the register person should not be handling food, period - except to dole out the coffee.