I went on some cleaning spree like a wild afflicted woman with OCD today. It was highly uncool. As I would have rather sit down and enjoy laziness in full effect (I'd even buy stained sweatpants for it if I couldn't tear some off of some passerby outside). Mais Non! My mistake was finishing my cup of coffee. I won't clean anything while there is food or drink about. As soon as the coffee was gone I found myself eyeing up the new swiffer that I bought three weeks ago. We tangoed. We sashayed. We built up arm muscle. And the floor looks better for it.
Suddenly, the super power of I'm-Having-Company-Eyes were engaged. No one is coming over. And yet, I could see everything, as if CSI came in with petri dishes to show me what is to be if I don't get the Sun & Earth, maintenant! Curses!
In all of this cleaning, I found a pile of Christmas CDs that I had pulled out around Thanksgiving that I wanted to play. Ugh, Really? Sad to think that they'd be put back on the shelf for another 11 months, I pulled out the Must Hear's.
New Orleans Christmas(Putumayo, 2006). Good stuff! What a choice for the first pick of the day. Energizing, cozy, (I was going to use the word 'connected' but that and 'disconnect' seem to be huge annoying buzz words from the last couple of years). It felt like a giant, happy hug. No one is sad on this CD. Standards and others, like "Zat you Santa Claus?". I think I'm going to live in denial that the season is over and troll down the street in my Saturn playing this through the year.
Christmas Swing (Platinum Disc Corp, 1999). I wanted to dance through all of this. My Humanling looked up from her solitaire game during "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Her assessment: "Why are they doing that this song? It sounds creepy. They're making it sound creepy." Well YEAH! Jazzy lets the notes creep all over the place! Go back to your game little girl. Someday you'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE. Some standards plus "Sugar Rum Cherry" and "Vodka Vounty". You will learn out of nowhere to become a choreographer while listening to this.
New England Christmastide (Mobile Fidelity with Northstar Records, 198 effin' 7!) Another one that causes impulsive yet graceful dance moves. So much that while I was channeling my inner plies and spins, Miss Humanling scoffed. Until I turned my back and then caught her dancing away. This CD evokes fireplaces, snow falling, bread pudding (because I have no idea what figgy pudding is and would probably hate it), banjos and homemade wooden ornaments with pine needle sprigs. Mary and Joseph would've hired this band to serenade the birth of Jesus. Not at all sappy and with plenty of lumberjack heart. Standards that have zero to do with that Christmas Gangsta, C to the Laus. You'll find Greensleves, Silent Night, Let Mad Boys be Glad Boys and other songs that I've never heard of but really don't care. This CD is awesome, very old world feeling. I'm going to go stalk all of these people on this CD now that Christmas is over. They'll be more stalkable for this coming time of year. 1987 and I'm playing this shite now. By the way, I went to Facebook to "Like" them and they must have heard about the stalking because my computer froze up. Alright, Who told?
A Very She & Him Christmas (Merge Records, 2011). This is the baby of my bunch of CDs (which reminds me that I will need to pick up another Christmas CD from Starbucks ASAP!) I collect Christmas CDs on a yearly basis, as some people do ornaments. Okay, I do ornaments too. No hummels though. I personally think this CD is the birth of demand after many of us saw 'Elf" and needed to hear more more MORE of Zooey Deschanel's voice. I wanted that exact song on this CD - "Baby It's Cold Outside", and it is. Only she has swapped roles and does the guy's line in this one. I'll admit, it threw me off. I wanted the version from the movie. This CD has atmosphere, no doubt. If I had a Christmas cocktail party this would be a must. What's really funny is that my version of a photo program on my laptop wanted to tag the face in this photo - just HER face. Which sums up the entire project for me. If my computer software doesn't care to recognize the dude, I'm not surprised that I don't really mind not knowing who he is either. Or that I want to know but keep forgetting after I find out. Zooey is the real draw and he's a lucky guy to be a part of it.
And now that I've played these hold outs to start off my new year in a relaxing-last-look at the season passing, I will shelve them til November. Except for the New Orleans one. That one is going in my car.
2 comments:
What beautiful Christmas decorations!!
Thank you so much! Will hate to take the tree down this week!
Post a Comment