Sunday, April 22, 2012

Butterface

Blogger has changed and today is my virginal lunar landing on it.  I know writing daily is an important piece of building block for a writer and I am soooo deficient in my consenants and vowels.  So. Pathetically. Scarce.

Things have changed at home so I honestly won't have too many ready excuses now not to write.  But I will need to re-w(h)et my feet. 

Currently the only thing threatening to confiscate my attention is Iron Chef.  This show is really cool - when an animal isn't the Ingredient of Challenge.  It drives me crazy to see live beings thrashing around in a small tank, inevitably being caught (no magic corners to float past in these parts!) and butchered in front of my face while I am still processing the fact that this being is possibly about to be butchered.  This particular episode is really highlighting my discomfort.  The Chef is strangling the fish in order to kill it.  Sigh.  I got a good glimpse of it while reaching quickly for the remote to change the channel.  Oh good, this other food channel has already chopped beings.

Speaking of food, I am rather amazed at how much the Teen is enjoying my cooking.  Our former situation had me five feet away from the kitchen while the food was gloriously prepared by someone else.  Someone who used sometimes a bit too much salt but other than that, the food was amazing.  Once we moved here, I was out of salt for about five days.  I tried to make up for it with butter.  It worked...resulting in "the best broccoli" she had ever tasted.

Really?  I was quite suspicious of this statement but accepted it as a compliment.  

Tonight was mashed sweet potatoes, ears of corn on the cob and one hard boiled egg each.  Ah, but they were freshly boiled....still hot!  I was fairly liberal with the butter.  We ate as though we were trough feeders.  She loved it.  I almost pointed her to the refrigerator to tell her she could just open the door there and say "thanks" to the butter.  

I used to put the Food Channel on just because I thought it was one of those innocent, no drama channels.  Then the butchering and strangling of giant fish.  What next?  I'll put on the Disney channel to drill further down into La-La Land and someone will be violently popping a zit?  

These chefs look so stressed out.  What luck we humans have. What abundance - at least in certain circles.  There are piles of food out there just waiting for someone to unnecessarily make something out of them in order to Win.  It almost seems pretentious.  And yet I won't turn it off.  It drowns out the rain that is pelting the skylight.

No comments: