Friday, November 26, 2010

You're a Positive One, Mr. Grinch

miffed kiti Pictures, Images and Photos

All of the Not Wanna Go Somewhere’s in the House say Yeeeeeahhhhhhh!

Hello?

Is it just me?

Thanksgiving day is indeed a day to gather with those you want to spend time with. And those that you feel you HAVE to spend time with. And those that you wouldn’t see any other time but the family is hovering over you with nine shades of guilt if you don’t show up. But that’s not me….I heard about it through a friend.

For me, the one thing that must happen, is the viewing of Santa Claus at the end of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade. An absolute must. Otherwise, the opportunity is gone for a full year! And no other Santa will do…not the Salvation Army Claus’s, not the one at the mall (who really is a fabulous replica!), nor the one that shows up at various craft fair events. It must be the REAL Santa…the one that I see on the TV after Kanye West sings and Spiderman floats past.

We all have our different ways of spending Thanksgiving and what it means to us. Some people have Ground Hog Thanksgiving and it’s the same year after year and that’s what makes them happy. Some people flit around from year to year taking it as it comes and riding the wind surf.
If you haven’t guessed, Inevitable Regeneration is about the latter. The glittery wind surf. The seat of the pants on fire from all the flying!

I admit that this year I thought it would be cool to hang home with humanling. It’s been such a crazy week of work and overload at my job that I thought staying at home would be awesome. Cook a vegetarian feast, wear pretty dresses to the candlelight table and relax! That was my plan and I was sticking to it!

…twas not to be. I have a problem living with Aftermath. I don’t respond well to any type of guilt and have even been accused of wearing the best Guilt Armor there is. To me, guilt is nothing more than trying to get your own way when reason isn’t working. In order to avoid the massive delay in enjoying the four day weekend, reason won over with me….although it wasn’t reasoning from my mate. It was reasoning with myself that YES, I can create an ultra special vegetarian Thanksgiving with my daughter, just me and her at home, BUT….when honeypie comes home from the relatives house, there isn’t going to be a joyous moment for Quite Some Time. And it will become a encore in future arguments, rearing itself again and again as Proof of my emotional black hole.

So I went! And it went as I thought.

Did I feel incredibly carsick on the way there? You betcha!

Was I told that there would be no animal product in certain foods and then eat it only to find out that there was? Absolutely!

Were there odd moments of noticing that of all the couples there, my mate and I were the only ones not sharing an iota of affection and that I had to hear at least three stories involving ex-girlfriends? Kinda sorta. NOT! The answer is Positively affirmative!

How. Ever.

I did not feel carsick on the way home. The darkness probably helped.

The turkey broth in the stuffing was so minute that it didn’t matter.

My mate eventually came out of the bathroom and reached for my hand (after washing HIS, hopefully!)

Dessert was incredible with apple crumb pie nestled next to a blob of delish vanilla ice cream!

And many many laughs were had. Me included.

And … I won my ESPN Streak for the Cash pick. Dallas lost. By three points.

Holidays ARE compromise AND fun AND stressful at times. But anything can be overcome with good dessert.

I fully recommend Wind surfing and enjoying it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comprise is one thing on Thanksgiving....Dallas losing is not one of them.