Friday, June 19, 2009

I Saw You....and HIM...walking in the rain.....



What time is it?! Summa Time! It's our vacation!




And so the words of teenybopper lyrics are blasted from my Saturn as Humanling and I drive along this morning. School is officially out today, although she's been out for days.




We did have to visit her school to pick up her things. I couldn't find my child as the entire class swarmed over like starving bees on one flower. She was hugged to a pulp and then I felt guilty for us having to leave. I noticed all the flowers and teddy bears on the teacher's desk and thought to myself...."Oh shite." I forgot to buy her teacher a gift. I'm really bad with this stuff. My calendar really needs to be an in-person task list that talks. So we left the school ("Don't touch the doorknobs!") and I went to the grocery store that we always see the teacher in and got her a gift card, along with four scratch offs. Is that legit? Can you give those kinds of gifts? Will the Humanling end up with a mug shot taken off her Amber Alert?




We dropped the gifts off at the office and left again. Only for me to hear the words that would start my adrenals at the ready mark: "My head is spinning." And then she started choking and coughing. Suddenly.




WHAT?!




So instead of going to the store to get our refrigerated probiotics, gluten free breads, etc., we came straight home so that I could "fix it" as best as I could. Propped up in bed, fan on full blast, cold wet washcloth and something on tv that is funny. Whatever it is, add humour.




It's about an hour later and she's out here doing a puzzle on the floor. Ok, that's good so far.




Rewind now to yesterday. El and I went to get our marriage license and then walked through the rain for at least a couple of hours. Well. We started off walking, then ended up sloshing, squishing and riding the flood through Central Park. The last part would have been fun if it had actually happened.




We went to the one spot I had been talking about forever, "The Mall". It's also the opening scene in "The Happening" (which scared the Eff out of me - I hate scary), the first movie in all of our (at that time) 12 years that we ever saw together in a theater. In photos, the Mall looks so serene and full of unseen energy that is unhuman. In person on day 90 of rain, it is exactly that. We couldn't gage how it would look with people deposited on benches or riding through on bikes, skateboards or other devices with wheels. It gave itself to us as the only way that I really know it. We had planned this day 3 weeks in advance so we couldn't know how the weather would be. And it was here that I pulled out his wedding ring to see if it fits. (Wasn't that a good association trick, El? Now we HAVE to get married in that spot!).




We did end up trailing a very small wedding party near the Belvedere. There were two British women laughing their giddy butts off. Something had happened that we didn't quite see but these women were at least in their 60s, more like 70s. They were doubled over, umbrella in hand, skirts full of water marks. It was so refreshing to see what had to be drunk before noon elders as opposed to complainers about the weather.




At some point I became too giddy...all of us in this region must be getting mold on our lungs. Too much moisture, it's been raining for nearly 2 weeks, almost straight. I am so glad to be container gardening so that I can just dump the water out of the bottom of the pots and then bring my traumatized veglings in.




El and I sat in a restaurant eating gluten free cheese rolls for a bit before the search was on. I love that he shows me new things based on what he already knows about me. All of his actions are dictated by generous thought (at least I think so). As we sat I excitedly told him about my idea for a book that I started. He responded positively and we mused on how marriage is like a new beginning. We will be a new entity, and in my view, we should be who we want to be.




Our marriage license states our occupations as who we are working toward being as opposed to our day jobs.




Eventually after sloshing around in CP for a long time, we (or rather, I know I was) did a Frankenstein walk to Kmart to buy dry clothes, cheap and fast. We purchased flip flops to relieve our feet from the socks that would be peeled off in a Starbucks bathroom. I needed to use my foot to free my opposite leg from my glued on jeans.




A beautiful rainy day for walking in the park.




And now my loverlies, I must take my non-ailing child out to do errands.




1 comment:

Patti Gibbons said...

I saw the Happening. Strange movie. It was OK...kept me entertained. Sweet story. Made me smile. :) you are such a great story teller....

xp